Must-haves for The Ultimate Home Office

ryanmaynard

Administrator
Staff member
Must-Haves for the Ultimate Home Office

Creating a home office that maximizes productivity and comfort requires more than just a desk and chair. Here’s a roundup of must-have items based on a discussion among seasoned professionals in a Slack channel, compiled for your ultimate home office setup.

1. KVM Switch with EDID
Why? If you’re working with multiple computers and monitors, a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch that supports EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) is essential. EDID allows the KVM to maintain 'on' connections on both sides, ensuring that your monitors don’t constantly reset when switching between devices.

2. Reliable Laser Printer (e.g., Brother LaserJet)
Why? A reliable laser printer is a must for any home office. The Brother LaserJet series is a popular choice due to its efficiency, durability, and cost-effectiveness, particularly for high-volume printing.

3. Ergonomic Office Chair (e.g., Secretlab)
Why? Comfort is key when you’re sitting for long hours. The Secretlab chair is highly recommended for its ergonomic design and support, though it’s noted that it might lack cushioning. Always consider your height and weight when choosing a chair, especially if you’re taller, as some models cater better to larger frames.

4. High-Quality Audio Setup
Why? Clear audio is crucial for virtual meetings. While some may invest in a full audio interface, a good wireless headset with DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) is also recommended. DECT headsets offer superior range (up to 300 feet) and maintain clear audio quality, even when moving around your space.

If you're looking for a more professional setup, consider pairing the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) audio interface with a quality microphone like the Audio-Technica AT2040. To complete the setup, you can use a sturdy microphone arm such as the Elgato Wave Mic Arm LP. This combination will deliver studio-quality sound, ensuring that your voice is clear and professional during virtual meetings.

5. Full Desk Mousepad
Why? A full desk mousepad not only protects your desk surface but also enhances your workspace's aesthetics. It allows for seamless mouse movement across your entire desk, especially useful if you use multiple monitors or need ample space for your peripherals.

6. High-Throughput USB Hubs
Why? With multiple devices to connect, a high-throughput USB hub with its own power source and fast charge ports is invaluable. It reduces clutter and ensures that all your devices are powered and connected efficiently.

7. Docking Station
Why? A good docking station can replace multiple adapters and ports, allowing you to connect various devices (monitors, USB devices, Ethernet, etc.) through a single hub. This is especially useful for laptop users who need a seamless connection to a home office setup.

These items are not just about making your workspace look good; they are about enhancing productivity, comfort, and efficiency in your home office. Whether you’re working from home permanently or just occasionally, investing in these must-haves will make a noticeable difference in your work life.

What other items would you include in this list and why?

I probably should bother to ground mine to lower the noise floor, but I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08393DLGV/

It lets me combine 4 audio sources into one set of headphones. I can adjust each input to even out the relative levels and also the final output level.

I find it very handy for overdriving the audio when I have someone on a call who has very low volume which cannot easily be boosted more in the normal way. It's a lot easier sometimes to just fix it on my end rather than to spend a lot of time teaching them how to go over their audio settings and hardware.

Back