Poll: What virtualization platforms are you using in your lab?

What virtualization platform(s) do you use in your homelab?

• Proxmox

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Bhyve

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • XCP-ng

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XenServer

• VMware vSphere

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Microsoft Hyper-V

• Other

• None

• Total voters

seabre

I'm curious if most folks here really are mostly using Proxmox in their labs. It came up the other day, and was curious if it is actually the case.

Oh yeah, if you have an "Other" and are not content with voting "Other" I'll add it, I don't care.

I was big on VMware for years, long years, like since ~2006 (I had moved to it from Microsoft Virtual Server), I had loved it to death, I was one of the most pain-in-the-ass voices for the v5.5 VRAM fiasco (I had written blogs and breakdowns) -- I practically came unglued at Hyper-V gaining traction due to their poor strategy issues at the time.

People say Broadcom killed VMware, but it's sucked, it's sucked hard for a long time -- NSX being not an integrated part of the hypervisor, same with the VSA/VSAN situation (and I remember VMware's sales staff rolling around with pitiful numbers saying it's "successful", I've written bespoke products in small industries with total units sold similar to numbers they were throwing around).

VMware's asinine licensing hurt it hard in the SMB space, Broadcom just did that on steroids thinking they can focus on the top of the market -- but we've been seeing employees discuss shifting massive VMware deployments because licensing is too much.

I'm moving to Proxmox these days, so far fairly smooth, migration is a little slow if only because I'm doing it very casually, I miss some functionality but in other ways I'm seeing things VMware should have done forever ago.

Back