Proxmox: Unique Use Cases?

ryanmaynard

Administrator
Staff member
What are some of the weirder or unique use cases you all are using Proxmox for?

Is anyone running 100 instances of Android for adclick farms or anything wild?
Game server farms?
Render farm?
Retro computing labs?
Cybersecurity playgrounds?
Smarthome hubs?

I'm looking for ideas and inspiration, and of course this will let me know if I need to beef up my machine before setting it up.

My use cases are pretty run-of-the-mill, but what makes my environment unique, I think, is that I have an underlying Synology NAS as my primary data store (serving over NFS). Thus, I'm not using CFS nor am I using a fancy SAN or iSCSI or anything. I do have a lot of local storage too, and some VMs run off that storage, but in principle, I try to run most of it off the NAS.

In a disaster scenario, I have enough local storage across each of my nodes to where I can recover VMs from backups fairly quickly (I have 4 physical Proxmox hosts plus a 5th Proxmox VM that runs directly on the Synology as a tiebreaker).

Like @D.White, I too am pretty run-of-the-mill in my Proxmox setup.

• Synology NAS is used as my primary data store, providing NFS to VMs.
  • Proxmox is running on one machine (would like to add a second to spread the load a bit)
  • Small VMs for most services (game servers, navidrome instance, etc)
  • VM running Portainer for some stuff (was just experimenting, would like to play with LXC containers for this maybe, or just move to regular VMs idk) such as Gitea, Kavita, and others
  • Most of my stuff isn't exposed to the outside world, but some of it is with Nginx Proxy Manager working as a reverse proxy.
  • I run a VPN to connect to my internal services.

So yea, not really what you're looking for, but just throwing my setup out there. The only interesting-ish thing I do is run a VM on Proxmox to act as my main development machine and use VS Code's Remote SSH to connect to it. So in practice, I can take my laptop with me and VPN to my network and have my full dev environment running with no hassle.

Back